Lentil stew at Gertrude & Alice, in Bondi, Sydney
At this moment, you might be longing for sunshine and warmer days and feeling like you've had enough of winter. As spring is getting closer but not quite yet around the corner, this delicious heart warming lentil stew is perfect for the days you might want to snuggle up under a blanket, all cosy!
Since eating a delicious lentil stew at Gertrude & Alice, my favorite place in Bondi Beach- Sydney, I've adopted this dish as my body & soul warming food for the snowy months. I guess the combination of a bookshop cafe and hearty meal, is one of the simple joyful moments in life. Bookstores- and this one in particular- have quite a magical atmosphere. The mountains of second hand books, the indie playlist in the background, the cup of chai tea, the wide mix of souls coming to write their next novel, work on their business, on dates, friends catching up or an afternoon stop with the kid. I love it. Cosiness at its best. It was over there that I came up with the name for my coaching and yoga brand: Wild. Happy. Heart. This kind of place is heaven for inspiration and daydreaming. I spent many hours writing ideas in my journal for my projects & dreams, in bliss, after yoga classes. Every time I make this lentil stew, it brings me back to that moment of happiness & freedom, wandering through Bali & Australia. Healthy comfort food it is. Ha!
I love lentils - not only because of their health benefits but they are versatile and great in salads, stews, and indian & middle eastern dishes. They contain the highest source of protein from plant based food and are high in fibers which is very good for your digestion, and are rich in minerals like folate, magnesium, potassium and iron. They lower cholesterol, help prevent heart disease and thanks to their fibers, stabilize blood sugar levels and give you energy for hours.
Lentil Stew (vegan and gluten free)
(makes 6-8 servings)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 2 cups of green lentils
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic- minced
- 2 cups of canned tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cups of vegetable broth (they often contain gluten so check the label to be sure it's gluten free) / or use water
- half of an avocado
- fresh parsley for garnish
- salt & pepper
- In a large pot, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and spices, sauté for 3-4 minutes, then add the zucchini and carrots. Sauté for 6-7 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes and vegetable broth- keep medium heat for 10 minutes and then cook it for 40 minutes on low heat- adding more water if needed. I like to let it simmer for 1h30 so it marinates and it tastes even better. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Serve the stew with half of an avocado on top and fresh parsley.
I love avocados - as they're not only delicious and creamy but contain healthy fats for the body. It's a perfect combo with this lentil stew!
Let me know what you think! What is your favorite winter heart warming food?