Hope you all had a cozy and relaxing weekend. Spring weather is still a bit shy where I live and I was craving for some warm comfort food-healthy of course! ;) So I cooked my favorite dish. I just love seeing all the colors in my plate and I heart sweet potatoes. They are packed with health benefits and are anti-inflammatory. They contain vitamin B6-good for your heart, fibers for a healthy digestive system, iron, magnesium, potassium to lower blood pressure, Vitamin A- antioxidants. They also help stabilize blood sugar levels. They are the queens of healthy food! :) And red lentils are a good source of protein and fibers and can be a good replacement for meat.
All you need:
- 2 cups of dal (red lentils)
- 2 cups of romano beans or green beans
- an onion
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- Coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A red pepper (optional)
- A cup of mushrooms (optional)
- In a large pan/skillet, heat the olive oil and sautee the onion, garlic, turmeric, curry together.
- Add the sweet potatoes (cut in little cubes without the skin) and 1-2 cups of water. Cook on low-medium heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes. I'm a big fan of cinnamon so I always sprinkle the potatoes a little bit -but it's optional.
- If you want to add mushrooms and a red pepper, they can be added to the sweet potatoes pan.
- Cook in another pan the romano/green beans in boiling water until almost cooked.
- Cook the dal in boiling water for 15 minutes. When ready add the lentils to the sweet potatoes pan. Add the cinnamon stick.
- Stir in the lentils, sweet potatoes and romano beans together.
- Add a few tbsp of coconut milk.
- And Voilà! It takes about 30 minutes and you'll have a healthy delicious plant based dish to enjoy!